By Derrick Johnson,
Being asked to become the best man in your brother’s or best friend’s wedding is a great honor. It just shows how much the groom trusts you so you need to do know what you’re doing so you can do your boy proud but being assigned this honor means that you have certain best man duties and responsibilities to fill.
So what are the duties and responsibilities of being the best man? Here’s a quick rundown of the things that you have to do before, during, and after the wedding.
Before the Wedding
- Planning the bachelor party. This is probably the biggest responsibility that you have as a best man. Just don’t go overboard with the partying or you might end up like the guys in “The Hangover.”
- Get fitted for a tux. In the old days, it was customary for the groom to pay for the rent or purchase of the tuxes or suits of his entourage. Today, you will often find yourself going “dutch” with the suit rental. But whether you do pay for your tux or not, you are expected to be there for the customary fitting.
- Attend the wedding rehearsal and the rehearsal dinner. The wedding rehearsal usually happens the day before the wedding, and you as the best man are expected to be there on time because they will not be able to start without you. You are also expected to attend the rehearsal dinner that will immediately follow the rehearsal.
During the Wedding
- Enter with the groom. Though the wedding processional rules tend to vary depending on the couple’s religion, customs and the type of wedding they are having, oftentimes the best man enters just before the groom.
- Hold onto the groom’s wedding ring. You need to keep the groom’s ring safe and sound. It will be such a fiasco if you ever lose it. You also need to keep it where you know you can fish it out immediately when the person conducting the ceremony asks for it.
After the Wedding
1. It’s your job to give the customary best man toast. Giving a touching and sometimes humorous best man toast about the groom is one of the traditional responsibilities of being the best man. It usually involves recanting some hilarious memories that you and the groom share while at the same time welcoming the bride into your life.
This will probably be the one of the most important speeches you will ever give in your entire life so you need to prepare it beforehand, you may even want to practice it a bit in front of the mirror.
You can try doing an impromptu speech and just think of your speech on the spot, but this rarely goes off without a hitch; you may end up saying some things that you will regret later. Remember you’ll probably be on camera and any mistakes you make can and will be used against you by your boys at any time.
2. Pimp out the bride and groom’s getaway car. It is customary for the best man and the other groomsmen to sneak out during the reception and “decorate” the bride and groom’s getaway car. The best way to go about it is making the decorations a bit embarrassing, and do not go over the top and damage the car in any way. Stringing some cans on the rear bumper of the car is the classic way to do it, or you could also try stuffing the insides with balloons, writing embarrassing messages on the windows using washable paint, use your imagination!
You should now be all set to be the best “best man” that your groom can possibly ask for. Don’t be caught unprepared. Remember, your turn is coming so if you do a crappy job here you may just find yourself standing at the altar one day “best man-less”.